In 2010, the iPad was about to be announced. As I was more in flavor of a desktop OS running a tablet than a phone OS running a tablet, I decided to design my own – the EXOPC Slate composed of:
– A Windows based tablet
– A touch UI on top of Windows
A community (I miss you, Exocommunity!) to support the EXOPC Slate emerged and quickly reached 33,000 active members. Major partners started to help, such as Microsoft for the distribution, Intel for the sales channels, marketing and R&D (including OS alternatives as MeeGo). Major tier ones asked to purchase the software so we started to license the EXO UI to other manufacturers. As a small startup, we could not invest to follow the demand, so the licensing model naturally replaced the hardware business – Unfortunately doing that, we loose the magics that comes when you can fine-tune both hardware and software together.
They was many articles about the EXOPC Slate. Here are some of them that hightlight the different steps from the development to the go to market.
- 8.9-inch ExoPC Slate has iPad looks, netbook internals, Windows 7 soul
- ExoPC tablet opens up for the world to see
- ExoPC shows its touchscreen stuff on video
- ExoPC Slate review
- ExoPC now up for pre-order at Microsoft Store, shipping next week
- ExoPC Slate: Windows 7 tablet coming soon
- Unboxing and first look at the ExoPC
- ExoPC Windows 7 Slate up for pre-order in the US
- ExoPC Slate Windows 7 tablet review
- ExoPC Windows tablet launches in Canada, Portugal (under different names)
Laptop Mag (all)
- ExoPC Slate
- Tablet World Series Game 5: ExoPC Slate vs. Archos 101
- Tablet World Series Finals: ExoPC Slate vs. BlackBerry PlayBook
- MSDN: ExoPC: A Beautiful and Functional Tablet Computer
- ZDNet: ExoPC Slate tablet computer takes on iPad with Windows 7, Flash support
- BetaNews: First-impressions review: ExoPC ‘Microsoft Signature Series’ tablet
- TechRadar: ExoPC Slate review
- Geek.com: Tested: Windows 8 on the EXOPC Slate
- SlashGear: ExoPC Slate tablet machine tips up with Windows 7
The EXOPC Slate is not supported anymore but if you need support, here are few links that may help.
- The Exocommunity was backuped on the Internet Archive and contains full of information.
- Most drivers can be downloaded from here: EXOPC Slate on Driverscape
- Ciara provides very detailled technical information about the Ciara Vibe, a branded and compatible version of the EXOPC Slate. Ciara Vibe/EXOPC Slate on Ciara
- Wikipedia provides detailled technical information that will be usefull if you need to change a part.: EXOPC on Wikipedia
- The EXOPC Slate can still be found on Amazon: EXOPC Slate
- You may be able to find parts and accessories on eBay: EXOPC Slate